Kerala Tender Mango Pickle also known as Kadumanga, is an authentic pickle that is made with tender mangoes. The tender mangoes are placed in saltwater for a couple of weeks & then spices are added and pickled. Keralites especially can’t miss pickle with their everyday meals and most families in Kerala prepare pickles in their homes. I remember that my Grandpa used to make pickles throughout the year, and it tasted amazing.
Tender Mango Pickle/ Kadumanga is delicious and can be prepared within 30 minutes. The recipe for Kadumanga can be tweaked in many ways. While adding spices, you can cut the tender mangoes or eat it whole.
Ingredients to make Kadumanga/Tender Mango Pickle
Tender Mangoes 500 gm
Chilli powder – 1/3 cup
Salt – 2 cups
Mustard Seeds – 1/3 cup
Asafoetida powder – 1 tablespoon
- Wash the tender mangoes & rub them dry.
- Mix tender mangoes with salt well.
- Store them in a ceramic pot (Bharani in Malayalam) & close the lid properly. If possible, tie the mouth of the ceramic pot with a clean and dry cloth.
- Age the mangoes stay in the saltwater for two weeks.
- After aging tender mangoes for two weeks, open the ceramic pot & drain the saltwater into a dish and separate the tender mangoes into a different bowl.
- Mix well the powdered mustard, chilli powder & asafoetida powder, saltwater and tender mangoes.
- Put the mangoes back into the ceramic pot & cover the mouth with a clean and dry cloth.
- The pickle can remain in the ceramic pot up to a year without spoiling. As it ages, it tastes better.
- Transfer the required quantity each time into another jar and age the rest.