Bitter gourd stir fry is prepared in different methods across India. Bitter gourd is beneficial for health, and it is recommended for people suffering from diabetes. Due to its bitterness, many people avoid eating this healthy fruit. Also called bitter melon, it is widely grown in Asia, Africa, and the Caribbean.
Here’s a simple dish that’s not so bitter.
- Bitter gourd- 2 nos (finely chopped)
- Curry leaves
- Turmeric powder – 1/4 tsp
- Sunflower oil – 3 tsp
- Shallots – 6 (chopped)
- Garlic – 8 cloves (crushed)
- Mustard seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Dry red chilies (crushed)
- Remove the seeds and rub salt on the bitter gourd.
- Keep aside for 10 minutes, and then squeeze the water out the bitter gourd. This will help reduce the bitterness.
- Heat 3 tbsp sunflower oil in a pan and add mustard seeds and allow it to splutter.
- Add turmeric powder, chopped shallots, garlic cloves, curry leaves, and saute till shallots turn golden brown.
- Mix together the seasoned ingredients with bitter gourd.
- Add more salt if needed.
- Stir fry until the water gets evaporated and becomes dry and crispy.
- Add crushed red chilies.
- Mix it well and serve hot with steamed rice and curry.