Muringa Ela (Drumstick Leaves) Thoran is a dry dish made of drumstick leaves. This dish is mostly made in Kerala, a state in South India. In a traditional method of preparation of this dish does not use Garlic, but in the modern-day, Garlic and Onion are also included.
Drumstick leaves (Moringa) is believed to have many healthful compounds that help prevent and cure diseases.
Ingredients (Serves 4)
- Tender Drumstick leaves – 3 cups
- Grated coconut – 1/2 cup
- Cumin seeds – 1/2 teaspoon (optional)
- Turmeric powder – 1/2 teaspoon
- Salt – to taste
- Mustard Seeds – 1/2 teaspoon
- Dry red chilies 2
- Shallots – 4 nos (sliced)
- Curry Leaves – 4 leaves
- Coconut oil or Sunflower oil – 1 tablespoon
Preparation (15 minutes)
- Clean drumstick leaves. Drain the water and set it aside.
- Take a medium-sized pan and add the washed drumstick leaves and 30 ml of water and saute for 5 minutes on low flame.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of coconut oil in another pan, and splutter mustard seeds.
- Add in the turmeric powder, cumin seeds, sliced shallots, dry red chilies, curry leaves and saute until the onions turn light brown.
- Mix the cooked drumstick leaves and the sauteed ingredients together and cook for 2-3 minutes on low flame.
- Add salt and grated coconut and mix well and cook for 2 minutes with a lid on.
- Set aside the pan from the flame, and let it sit for 2 minutes with the lid on.
- Serve hot with rice.