Tamarind curry or Injipuli/Puli Inji (in Malayalam), a sweet-sour-spicy, dark brown colored curry is part of South Indian cuisine especially in Kerala and Tamil Nadu. Onam festival is around the corner and the sadhya (banquet) is never complete without this finger licking sides, Inji puli.
- Ginger (chopped ) – 2 tpsb
- Green chili – 5 (chopped)
- Jaggery cubes – 4
- Water – 5 cups
- Tamarind – 250 grams
- Curry leaves – a handful
- Mustard seeds – 1 tbsp
- Sunflower oil – 3 tbsp
- Soak the tamarind for 20 mins in 3 cups of water. Strain, and keep the tamarind water aside.
- In a medium thick-bottomed container, add 2 cups water and melt the Jaggery cubes to make it syrupy.
- Add chopped ginger, chilies and the tamarind water into the Jaggery syrup and boil till it gets to a thick consistency.
- Heat 3 tbsp sunflower oil, splutter mustard seeds and curry leaves and add it to the tamarind curry and mix well.
- Boil for 5 minutes and transfer it to a bowl.