- 6 paneer chunks about 1-1/2 x 1 x 1/2 inch each
- 1/4 cup oil
- 1 medium onion chopped fine
- 1 tablespoon garlic/ginger paste or 3 garlic cloves, mashed
- 1 piece fresh ginger minced
- 1 large tomato, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon red chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon garam masala
- 1/4 cup water
- 3 cups fresh shelled green peas
- 1 tablespoon cashew nuts,
- Grind to make a paste with a bit of water Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- Prepare the cheese chunks, and in a wok or heavy skillet fry them in hot oil until golden.
- Remove with slotted spoon and set aside to drain on a paper towel.
- In the remaining oil sauté the chopped onion until it begins to turn brown. Do not scorch. Add the garlic/ginger paste and bhoona 2 minutes.
- Add the chopped tomato and bhoona 5 minutes to achieve a thick gravy.
- Add the dry masala and bhoona 3 minutes more. (NOTE: If the sauce is lumpy at this stage, puree it in a blender and continue.)
- Add 1/4 cup water, then stir in the peas.
- Add the paneer cubes and bhoona 2 minutes.
- Stir in the cashew paste, add salt, pepper. Serve at once. Serves 4 to 6 people.